The 40 hour tester certification course provided by Bac-Flo Unlimited is conducted over five days and includes the training, equipment, and information necessary to become licensed and qualified to test and maintain backflow prevention assemblies. This course is approved by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) and the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners (TSBPE). The student should bring his or her own hand sanitizer, gloves, mask, and writing instrument. A student's own differential pressure gauge is not needed for course attendance.
Examination process: the practical skills portion of the exam is included and given the last day of class while the written exam is offered at a TCEQ authorized exam site after course completion. This TCEQ application process (which includes a criminal background check and and application fee of $111) is to be completed after completing the 40 hour tester course. After the application is approved by the TCEQ, applicant will receive an approval letter granting permission to take the written examination. This written exam is Not given as part of the course and is administered at a TCEQ regional office or approved computer based testing site such as a local community college in applicant's area.
The average wait time for written exam approval is 3 - 4 weeks after a complete application has been submitted.
*Click here to begin TCEQ New Backflow Tester OLEA Application
Note: TCEQ license prerequisites include at least two full years of TCEQ approved water related work experience, high school diploma or GED, and completion of a criminal background check. This information is verified through the application process described above.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Education: High School diploma or General Equivalence Diploma
- Work Experience: two years of experience. Work experience must be in an approved area which includes, but not limited to:
- Operating or maintaining a public drinking water system;
- Installing or repairing residential, commercial, or industrial drinking water treatment equipment;
- Installing or repairing lawn irrigation systems;
- Performing activities requiring a master or journeyman plumbing license of at least 2 yrs.;
- Installing or servicing fire suppression sprinkler systems and lines;
- Operating or maintaining a domestic wastewater treatment facility;
- Performing duties approved by the executive director
TCEQ training credits provided with this course:
- 12 Hrs. Irrigation/Technician License
- 12 Hrs. Customer Service Inspector
- 12 Hrs. Water/Wastewater Operators
- 12 Hrs. Water Treatment Specialist
- 100 Hrs. toward obtaining a Plumbing Inspector's License
Course fee: $750.00
Bundle package $1,472.00 (includes BAC-FLO-5 Test Kit featured in Store).